2. Space Norms for Navodaya Vidyalaya
•Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas are planned to have an identity exclusive to their function; that of a hallowed seat of learning. These are residential schools resembling traditional “Gurukulas”, to which the student develop an inherent and strong sense of belonging and pride.
•The Jawahar Navodaya Vidaylayas have school buildings, boys & girls hostels, dining and kitchen facility, residences for faculty and staff with ample open spaces for playing and recreation. A Smriti Van in the memory of late Sh. Rajiv Gandhi, former Prime Minister of India, is an integral part of all the Navodaya Vidayalaya campuses. For hilly areas, where the School building and dormitory blocks with a Central courtyard cannot be accommodated, modular design is adopted. These buildings are made double-storied to optimize the cost of construction. In various zones of the country, materials and specifications are adopted as per CPWD, local availability. Specific provisions are being made for building in the earthquake zones.All new JNV buildings are equipped with fire safety measures and provisions for physically challenged.
•The built form of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas is simple low profile, and vernacular so as not to appear alien and forbidding in its surroundings. The emphasis is not on the physical form but on its overall relationship with its setting, which is natural and quaint, in keeping with its predominantly rural set-up and an ambience which merges well with the surroundings. All buildings are single/double-storeyed for the ease of construction and user friendliness. For varying and topographical regions, different variation of designs with different roof forms and building materials are adopted.
•The school building provides 18 classrooms, 3 laboratories, a computer room, a library, display areas, administrative and staff rooms. Each classroom accommodates 40 students. Four(Two each) separate sets of toilets for boys and girls are provided. The entrance of the school building is given an attractive form. The entry extends on to a platform, which acts as a stage during assembly. The central courtyard acts as assembly ground.
•The full strength of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya is 560 students with hostel facility for all. In a residential school, the students are expected to learn living habits with self-sufficiency, discipline, dignity of labour and sharing attitude. Their living accommodation should, therefore, induce the right atmosphere besides providing natural light, ventilation, physical and visual spaciousness. The tropical climatic
•conditions in our country are an important consideration in the design of the hostel. The children do not face the space constraints in hostel. Neither a strong pattern alien to their life style is imposed on them. That is why the physical form of the hostel is kept simple but highly efficient from functional point of view. There are 6 hostels, each accommodating 96 students, 4 for boys and 2 for girls. In case the requirement of hostels for Girl students occurs, additional hostel for girls is constructed additionally. Hostels also have accommodation for two house-master (one for 48 students)
•Principal’s residence of size 186 sq.mtrs. (Tpye-V) & Vice Principal’s residence of size 121 sqm. is placed at a vantage location in the layout of buildings for effective control. There are 18 residences of 80 sq.mtrs. each for teachers, 12 nos. residences of 80 sqm. each for Warden, 13 Nos residences to 70 sq.mtrs. each for administrative staff and supporting staff. Guest House of plinth Area 80 sqm. is also constructed in the Vidaylaya Campus)
Kitchen and Dining Hall
•A spacious dining hall for 560 students along with kitchen measuring 758 sqm. is provided where all students can take food at a time.
•These include Electric substation, under ground sump of 1.00 lac ltrs. capacity, roads internal & pathways, sewerage, water supply, storm water drain., play field of dimension 190m x 110m having a 400 meters running track, two kho-kho grounds (one each for Boys & girls) of size 40m x 30m and two basket ball courts of size 40m x 30m.
•Facility for Physical Handicapped Students All newly constructed JNVs have basic and essential required facilities like barrier free ramp and toilets for physically handicapped students. However, some of the JNVs constructed on old CBRI pattern have also been extended this facilities through a special drive to make them disabled friendly in tune with the Govt’s initiative to promote inclusive Education in the schools so that physical mobility is not a constraint in pursuit of formal school education among such children.
Construction-Phasing of JNV Buildings Phase-A
(Total Plinth area of building constructed is 7660 sqm)
1. School Building-consisting of 18 Classrooms, Library, Principal & Vice-Principal rooms, Staff rooms, Science laboratories, Computer Laboratory, Medical room etc.
2. Dormitory (1 Block – 96 students with 2 Nos. warden residences): a. Boys – 2 Blocks (for 192 Students) b. Girls - 1 Block (for 96 Students)
3. Staff Quarters: Total 23 staff qtrs. Are constructed a. Type-V – Principal Residence – 1 No
4. Type-III – 14 Nos. including 6 Nos. Warden residences constructed along with the dormitories.
5. Type-II 8 Nos. for non-teaching staff 4. Kitchen & Dining Hall
6. Development Works: Construction Boundary Wall (2.6 m high), Water supply including RCC underground sump of one lakh litres capacity, Sewerage system, CC Internal road and pathway, external electrification, sub stations etc. 6. Play field: (Total 05 nos.) a. One play field of size 190 mtrs.X 110 mtrs. (having 400m/200m track) b. Two Kho-Kho ground of 40 mtrs. X 30 mtrs. (Boys and Girls)
7. Two basketball courts of 40 mtrs. X 30 mtrs. (Boys and Girls) 7. Rainwater Harvesting Systems
Phase-B (Total Plinth area of buildings constructed is 3459 sqm)
1. Dormitory (1 Block – 96 students) with 2 Nos. Warden residences): a. Boys-1 Block (For 96 students) b. b) Girls-1 Block (For 96 students)
2. Staff Quarters: Total 23 staff qtrs. are constructed a. Type-IV- Vice Principal residence – 1 no.
3. Type-III – 14 Nos. including 4 Nos. Warden residences constructed along with the dormitories.
4. Type-III- Guest House – 1 no
5. Type-II 5 Nos. for non-teaching staff
6. Development Works: As associated with the building inPhase – B
1. Dormitory: Are constructed as per the student’s strength of Boys & Girls students. Provision in the Master Plan is considered as below:
2. Boys-1 Block (For 96 students)
3. Girls-1 Block (For 96 students)
4. Development Works: As associated with the building in Phase – B(Bal.)