04-STANDARDS IN STATES
DETAILED STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS
The FOUR Departmental Codes relating to Engineering personnel working in State Governments.
I.The Public Works Department Code.(APDSS/TSDSS/MDSS/KDSS....)
- Called in short as ”D” code. II.The Public Works Account Code.
- Called in short as “A” Code. III.The Detailed Standard Specification
- Called in short as SSR/SOR. IV.The Standard Scheduled Rates and Standard Data. (Called in short as SSR and DATA ).
I. The Public Works DepartmentCode.
”D” code deals with:
- – Establishment and Organization of Department, Classification of the operation of the Public Works Department,
- –Administrative approval,
- –Technical Sanction
- –Preparation of Projects, Reports and Estimates,
- –Execution of Works,
- –Completion Reports,
- –Public Building,
- –Miscellaneous rules regarding office works.
II. The Public Works Accounts Code.
”A” code deals with:
- –Preparation of Bills and matters pertaining to the Bill,
- –Procedure of Scrutiny of work bills,
- –Contract Procedures relating to L.S. and K2 Contracts,
- –Agreements of peace works
III. The Detailed Standard Specification.
(APDDS previously known as MDSS :Madras Detailed Standard Specification)
- It is an indispensable book to all Engineering Departments.
- It evolves to govern all the Engineering Branches of the Government or Autonomous bodies.
- It is the authority which the contractors have to invariably follow.
- Contract Act , the Constitution and other laws prevail and not APDDS,
This code consists of
2)STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS. VV
III. The Andhra Pradesh Detailed Standard Specification
PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS .73 N0 ::
- Embodies the contractual relationship between the Government and the Contractor.
- Are non statuary and are invalid before Law. Are amenable to (inclined to) the provisions of Contract Act.
- Additions and alterations will be approved by the Government.
STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS –16 Sections::
- Are Technical Specification of works, River Conservation and Road Works.
- Additions and Alterations (which do not involve Legal implications) will be approved by Chief Engineer (General).
ENGINEERING DEPARTMENTS in States:
(Government of Andhra Pradesh consists of THREE branches) ::
I.Public Works Department,
III.Roads and Building Department.
AUTONOMOUS BODIES OF ENGINEERING in ANDHRA PRADESH
(Government of Andhra Pradesh consists of following Autonomies Bodies)::
1)Panchayat Raj Engineering Department,
2)Municipal Engineering Department,
3)Water Works and Drainage Board,
5)Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanams,
6)Roads Transport Corporation,
8)Police Housing Board
IMPORTANT NOTE ON GOVERNMENT ORDER:
A Government Order issued by the Engineering Department,on any particular matter will apply too their Engineering Departments also,unless a different Government Order isissued on the same matter in respect of other Department.
A.P.D.S.S SECTIONS .10
B.Statement of approximate quantities in Schedule A
C.Drawings and Specifications
D.Materials and Workmanship
E.Included in Contract rates
F.Responsibilities and Liabilities of the Contractor
H.Date of commencement, completion, delays, extensions, suspension of work and forfeiture
I.Particulars of Payment
J.Arbitration and Claims of Contractors on Arbitration cases
PRINCIPLE of SUPERMACY of SOVEREIG
- TheA.P.D.S.S is a code which had its humble beginnings during the British period,in the year1922A.D.
- At that timePublic Works were at low key
- The law did not develop asitis today.
- The Imperial regime evolve Code more on the principle of supremacy of Sovereign at the expense of contractors.
- After Independence, the Contractors have challenged many of the provisions of the code which are onerous, involving heavy obligations.
- The Courts have declared some of the Preliminary Specifications as invalid.
SPECIFICATIONS & COURT JUDGMENT
The sections frequently raised in the Court of Law.
- PS 59. Delays and Extension of time.
- PS60. Delays in commencement or progress or neglect of work and forfeiture of earnest money, security deposit and withheld amounts
- PS 69. Interest on money due to contractor.
- PS 71. Recovery of money from contractor in certain cases.
- PS 73. Arbitration
The use of the word “shall” in making the provision is Intended to make the provision it self Obligatory (routine as to be expected of everyone) not Directory (give authoritative instructions)
1. Intent and Reference to A.P.S.S.
The Andhra Pradesh Standard Specifications are intended to describe
a)The character of the materials to be used:
b)The method of execution of work:
c)The contractor’ s responsibilities and liabilitiest othe Public, Government and his work men and
d)General Conditions which are to be accepted by every contractor who execute the work entrusted to him by the PWD of Andhra Pradesh
1. Intent and Reference to A.P.S.S
Whenever Theterm“StandardSpecification”or Theabbreviation“A.P.S.S.” isusedin theEstimateorContractdocument itshallreferto therelevantspecificationinA.P.S.S.bookand itsaddendavolume
2. Applicability of A.P.S.S.
- When a Standard Specification NUMBER is defined in a tender notice or in the contract schedule
- It is not necessary to include the Standard Specification for any item of work in any contract document .
- The contractor is to execute the work according to such Standard Specification.
- This Preliminary Specification shall apply to all agreements entered into by contractors with P.W.D.
- It shall form an inseparable condition of contract
3. Contractor to sign in the Divisional (or the Sub?Divisional) copy of A.P.S.S.
•Every P.W.D. Contractor ::
- Shall carefully study Standard Specificationsfor all items of work included in the schedule of work
- Shall carefully study his obligationsunder the “Preliminary Specification” which apply to all agreements,
- Shall sign in the Division copy of the A.P.D.S.S. as evidence that he
- understands the conditions of contract governing his agreement and
- accept the conditions.
- Shall peruse (read) the Divisional office copy to become conversant with sanctioned alterations or additions made to A.P.D.S.S.
- Shall sign alterations and addendum volume maintained at Divisional office.
4. Term “Specification” apart from “Standard Specification”
When Specification (Standard specification) is used in contract document
Meaning :: The specification or plan prepared for the particular item referred to in the document.
Instruction :: It is an instruction of the contractor in executing that ITEMof work
- Works of similar nature are grouped underone specification number.
- They have many common clauses in theirspecification
- The group is called “General”
- Sub?specification are given an alphabetical“suffix”.
6. Additions and alterations to the standardspecifications in the A.P.S.S.Additions and alterations to
- The standard specifications in the A.P.S.S.Will be approved by the Chief Engineer (General)in consultation with other Chief Engineers, only incase the additions and alterations do not involvelegal implications.
- Preliminary speciation and Standard forms Will be approved by Government.
7. Powers of Superintending Engineers and ExecutiveEngineers to supplement or alter A.P.S.S.
- Superintending Engineer and Executive Engineer may alter the StandardSpecification for any particular contract, which is within their powers ofsanction.
- Alteration may be done when such alteration found necessary.
- Correction sheet
- Shall be attached to the contact form.
- Shall show the Standard Specification number and the corrections made.
- Shall be signed by Superintending Engineer or Executive Engineer as thecase may be together with the signature of the contractor.