PARKING, LOADING AND UNLOADING SPACE
77. Minimum Parking Space
(1) No off-street parking space shall be less than -
(a) 12.5 sq. m. (2.5 m. in width and 5 m. in length), for a motor car, with a minimum head room of 2.2 m. if parked in a covered area.
(b) 37.5 sq. m. (3.75 m. in width and 10 m. in length), for a truck and bus with a minimum head room of 4.75 m. if parked in a covered area.
(2) The minimum width of circulation driveway to be provided for adequate maneuvering of vehicles shall be 4.0 m. for cars and 5.00 m. for trucks exclusive of parking space referred to in sub rule 1. However, a projection from a height above 5.50 m. from the ground level may be permitted keeping the mandatory open space open to sky as per this rule.
(3) The parking layout plan shall be so prepared that the parking space for each vehicle becomes directly accessible from driveway or circulation driveway or aisles. However stack car parking arrangement will be allowed in such a way that every car can be moved by shifting not more than one car. This stack car parking will be allowed only on the ground floor level.
(4)(a) For building with different uses, the area of parking space shall be worked out on the basis of respective uses separately and parking space to be provided for the total number of vehicles thus require
(b) In case of a plot containing more than one building, parking requirement for all buildings shall be calculated on the basis of consideration of the area of respective use/uses.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-rules (1), (2), (3) or (4) if the site abuts on a street or means of access -which is less than 3.5 m., parking space may not be insisted upon.
(6) (a) In case of buildings of Single Occupancies, other than residential and education, for the purpose of calculating requirement of car parking spaces, the area of common spaces shall be excluded.
(b) In case of buildings used only for residential or educational occupancy or both, for the purpose of calculating requirement of car parking spaces, the area of common spaces shall be included.
(c) In case of buildings having mixed occupancies / more than one occupancies wherein one of the occupancy types is residential or educational, for the purpose of calculating requirement of car parking spaces, the area of common spaces in the proportion of residential or educational usage to the area of the whole building, shall be taken into account.
78. Parking Space requirements for motor cars
(1) The parking space requirements for motor cars in respect of different categories of buildings are given in Table 6 below
Off-street Car Parking Space
||Car Parking Space Requirement
||(1) Building with single tenement –
(a) For a building having one tenement of less than 100 sq. m. in floor area – no car parking space.
(b) For a building having a tenement of 100 sq. m. or more but less than 200 sq. m. of floor area – one car parking space.
(c) For a building having one tenement of 200 sq. m. or more of floor area – one car parking space for every 200 sq. m.
(2) Buildings with multiple tenements –
(A) Tenement with less than 50 sq. m. of floor area –
(a) Up to 5 such tenements – no car parking space
(b) For 6 such tenements – one car parking space.
(c) For every additional 6 of such tenements – one additional car parking space.
(B) Tenement with more than 50 sq. m. but less than 75 sq. m. of floor area –
(a) Up to 3 such tenements – no parking space.
(b) For 4 such tenements – one car parking space.
(c) For every additional 4 of such tenements – one additional parking space.
(C) Tenement with more than 75 sq. m. but less than 100 sq. m. for every two such tenement additional one car parking space.
(D) Tenement with more than 100 sq. m. floor area – one car parking space for 100 sq. m. and one car parking space for every additional 100 sq. m.
(E) Tenements of different sizes in a building – Car parking space shall be calculated on the basis of each size-group, where no car parking space is necessary under (A), (B), (C) and (D) so, however, that at least one car parking space shall be necessary for more than 300 sq. m. of the total covered area in the building irrespective of number of sizes of tenements.
||(a) For floor area up to 100 sq. m. used for administrative purpose – no car parking space.
(b) For floor area of more than 100 sq. m. but less than 400 sq. m. used for administrative purpose – one car parking space.
(c) For floor area of 400 sq. m. and above used for administrative purpose – one car parking space for every 400 sq. m.
(d) For every new educational building having total covered area of more than 1000 sq. m., one bus parking space for every 1000 sq.
m. shall be required. This shall be in addition to the car parking
space required for the building.
||(a) For hospitals and other health care institutions run by Government, statutory bodies or local authorities –
(i) one car parking space up to 20 beds and one car parking
space for every additional 20 beds,
||Car Parking Space Requirement
||(ii) One car parking space for every 100 sq. m. of floor area where beds are not provided.
(b) For hospitals and other health care institutions not run by the Government, statutory bodies or local authorities – one car parking space for every 75 sq. m. of floor area, subject to a
maximum of 500 parking spaces].
||(a) For theatres, motion picture houses, city halls, dance halls, skating ring, exhibition halls, town halls, auditorium or similar other halls, or such other places –
(i)having fixed seating arrangement – one car parking space for every 10 seats,
(ii) having no fixed seating arrangements – for every 35 sq. m. of carpet area, one car parking space.
(b) For restaurant, eating houses, bars, clubs, gymkhana – no car parking space shall be necessary up to a total covered area of 20.0 sq. m. For carpet area of more than 20 sq. m, one car parking space for every 35 sq. m. or part thereof shall be necessary.
(c) For hotels and boarding houses –
(i)one car parking space for every two (2) guest rooms shall be necessary for star hotels.
(ii) One car parking space for every four (4) guest rooms or part thereof shall be necessary for other hotels and boarding houses.
(iii) Additional car parking space for areas, to be used as restaurant, dinning, hall, shopping halls, seminar halls, banquet halls and other purposes – one car parking space for every 35 sq.
m. of carpet area or part thereof shall be necessary.
(d) For other assembly buildings like place of worship. gymnasium sports stadium, railway or by passenger station, airport terminal or any other places where people congregate or gather for the purpose as specified in clause (d) of sub-section (2) of section 390 of the Act – requirement of parking space shall be determined by the Mayor-in-Council.
||(a) For floor area up to 1500 sq. m. – one car parking space for every 50 sq. m. of carpet area.
(b) For floor area above 1500 sq. m. but up to 5000 sq. m. in addition to the number of car parking spaces as required in terms of clause
(a) above, additional one car parking space for every 75 sq. m. of carpet area beyond 1500 sq. m. of floor area.
(c) For floor area above 5000 sq. m – in addition to the number of car parking spaces required in clause (a) and (b) above, additional one car parking space for every 100 sq.m of carpet area beyond
||(a) For carpet area up to 25 sq. m. – no car parking space.
(b) For carpet area above 25 sq. m. – one car parking space for every 35 sq. m.
||Industrial or Storage or Hazardous or Mercantile (Wholesale)
||(a) For floor area up to 200 sq. m. – no car parking space.
(b) For floor area above 200 sq. m. – one car parking space for every 200 sq. m. and one truck parking space for every 1000 sq. m. subject to a minimum of one truck parking space.
(c) In no case the required car parking space shall exceed 50 and the required truck parking space shall exceed 50.
NOTE : Calculations for required car parking space should be made on the basis of carpet area of the building unless otherwise, mentioned, other than the car parking area itself.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of sub-rule (1), the Mayor-in-Council may in any area or ward or borough for the purpose of this proviso, in consultation with the Municipal Building Committee, require additional parking spaces to be provided in such area
(3) Multilevel mechanical parking shall only be allowed on the open spaces without encroaching the statutory open spaces. The no of cars so parked shall not be more than 15% of the car parking requirement as stipulated in sub rule (1) subject to approval of the Mayor – in – Council in consultation with Municipal Building Committee
79. Parking, loading and unloading space for transport vehicles In the case of any building other than a residential building, the Mayor-in-Council shall, in consultation with the Municipal Building Committee, specify the requirements of parking, loading and unloading spaces for trucks, buses, ambulance vans or other types of transport vehicles as necessary in addition to the spaces required for motor cars.
80. Parking spaces to be distinct The open spaces required under Chapter IX and driveway shall not be treated as parking space for the purpose of these rules. However, open car parking may be allowed on the mandatory open space, provided that a clear driveway of 6.00 m. width is maintained.
PROVISIONS FOR MORE THAN ONE BUILDING IN A PLOT
(1) The provisions of this Chapter shall, notwithstanding anything contained in any other provisions of these rules, but, subject to the provisions of the Act, apply in relation to more than one building on a plot. Provided that a two storied service building upto a maximum floor area of 200 sq. m. in the same plot shall not be considered as more than one building for this purpose provided such building complies with attract the other provisions of these rules.
(2) Every building on a plot containing more than one building which does not abut on means of access shall abut an internal road connecting the means of access of the plot. The floor area ratio shall be calculated on the basis of the width of means of access on which the plot abuts.
(3) The width of such internal roads shall not be less than 4.0 m. Where internal road of 4.0 m. of width is not possible to be provided due to an existing building constructed prior to the commencement of these rules, a building of not more than 7 m. in height may be allowed, provided that the width of the internal road shall not be less than 1.20 m.
(4) Provided that every internal road as required under this rule shall be kept free from any projection thereon and shall be kept open to the sky no chajja or cornice or weather shed more than 600 mm. shall overhang or project thereon.
(5) The minimum width and the maximum length of all such internal roads shall be as per table below:
Width and Length of Internal Roads
|Minimum width of Internal
|Maximum Length of Internal Roads
||For internal roads
closed at one end
|For internal roads open
to street at both end
|(a) 4. 00 m.
|(b) 7.00 m.
|(c) 9.00 m.
(6) The maximum permissible height of any building on a plot shall be determined by the width of the means of access on which the plot abuts according to the Table 5 of sub-rule (1) of rule 75.
(7) In case of buildings within a plot not being of same occupancy, any individual building of any particular occupancy shall comply with the rules for that occupancy excepting the provisions of ground coverage and floor area ratio.
(8) Every building shall have minimum external open spaces as prescribed under Chapter IX of these rules, provided that on these open spaces, internal roads may be constructed.